Peabody Institute Library
The Peabody Institute Library was established in 1852 through the vision and generosity of George Peabody. The cornerstone of the library was laid on August 20, 1853 and the original 82-foot by 50-foot brick and brownstone building was dedicated on September 29, 1854. Three years later, with a gift from Eliza Sutton in memory of her son, the Eben Dale Sutton Reference Library was added. Opened in 1869, the Sutton Room housed the reference collection until the late 1970’s, when the entire library was expanded and renovated.
Today, the library is a department of the city and is overseen by a board of twelve elected Trustees. All library programs and collections are offered free to the public.
82 Main St.